Set your cash register on fire by preparing your ecommerce marketing plan for Christmas 2013!
Posted Under: e-commerce, Magento
Time to get jolly is upon us again. The Christmas time is probably the favorite time not only for the children but e-retailers around the world as well. And while the children build on their Christmas wish list, e-retailers around the globe plan to set up their holiday marketing plans.
So where do you start? Here are some proven holiday practices that will increase your website traffic and lure your customers purchases.
As we all know, Christmas ain’t Christmas if it doesn’t feel like Christmas so theme up your site!
With the use of colors and good design, make sure your homepage helps your customer get into the Christmassy mood. But don’t overdo it. Less is always more.
Give that additional value to your customers by giving free delivery.
We understand you may not like the idea but on the other hand, free delivery will encourage your customers to do some impulsive buying for their loved ones, and we all know how wild impulsive buying can get, especially in the craziest shopping time of the year.
Analyse your capacity to make sure you can serve 3x more customers.
With traffic peaking during Christmas, assuring you have the capacity of serving that size of customers is a must. Capacity can be looked at from various angles, so to be completely prepared take this 5 points into consideration:
• Assure your web server can handle large number of concurrent users on your website.
• Your inventory levels must be updated at all times. It’s important that you forecast for Christmas sales and make sure you have ordered enough stock in early to cater for the rush. It’s also important to consider the offers within your marketing campaigns and to compensate for these.
• Keep an eye on your packing & shipping companies to make sure they can fulfill orders on time. Furthermore, to compete with giants like Amazon, make your shipping deadlines clear. It keeps the customer informed and helps to heighten the urgency to buy.
• Adjust Pay-per-Click budgets according your projected sales.
• Highlight any gift wrapping options.
Set up your segmentation strategy
As you already know, it is easier to upsell your existing customer than to acquire a new one. Having said that, you should definitely check who are your best customers, your VIPs, because they are your most active advocates. Find out what did they buy last year and send them special outbound emails. Marketing offers to your VIP customers could result in your biggest spenders repeating their buying behaviour again this year.
These are just some of the eCommerce marketing tactics to prepare you for the holiday rush. As you prepare your Christmas marketing plan year by year, soon you will become an expert in what’s working for your brand and what is not. Just don’t forget to introduce new stuff once in a while. Changes, if done properly are a good thing. Like a breath of fresh air.