A Detailed Study on HTML5
Posted Under: HTML5
HTML5 is upcoming major revision of HTML (Hypertext Markup Language).
HTML5 is the next standard for HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0. HTML5 was initiated in 2004 by the WHATWG (Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group). Its objective is to reduce the need for proprietary rich internet application (RIA) technologies such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, Microsoft Silverlight and Sun JavaFX.
HTML5 supports syntax of both HTML and XML. HTML syntax of HTML5 requires DOCTYPE declaration that indicates to browser to render the page in particular mode. DOCTYPE is optional for HTML5 XML syntax. HTML5 Syntax also supports MathML and SVG elements inside HTML document.
What are the new HTML tags introduced in HTML5?
New HTML tags for better structure are: section, article, aside, hgroup , header , footer, nav and figure
New web form input tags which will reduce java script validation coding: tel, search, url, email, datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, number range and color tag
New rich HTML tags: video, audio, embed, mark, progress, meter, time, ruby, rtrp, canvas, command , details, summary, datalistl, keygen and output tag.
What are the new attributes introduced in HTML5?
The new attributes added in HTML5 and supported in all HTML tags are: contenteditable, contextmenu, data-*: user defined attribute, draggable, hidden, item, itemprop, spellcheck and subject
What are the new events introduced in HTML5?
Web Form Events: onforminput, oninput and oninvalid
Mouse Event: ondrag, ondragend, ondragenter, ondragleave, ondragover, ondragstart and ondrop
Media Events: Following events can be used in all media tags like Img, Audio, Video, Embed and Object: oncanplay, oncanplaythrough, ondurationchange, onemptied, onended, onerror, onloadeddata, onloadedmetadata, onloadstart, onpause, onplay, onplaying, onprogress, onratechange, onreadystatechange, onseeked, onseeking, onstalled, onsuspend, ontimeupdate, onvolumechange and onwaiting
What are the elements dropped in HTML5?
Following are the elements dropped in HTML5: basefont, big, center, font, s, strike, tt, u, frame, frameset, noframes, acronym, applet, isindex and dir
What are the tags attributes dropped from HTML5?
- rev and charset attributes on link and a.
- shape and coords attributes on a.
- longdesc attribute on img and iframe.
- target attribute on link.
- nohref attribute on area.
- profile attribute on head.
- version attribute on html.
- name attribute on img (use id instead).
- scheme attribute on meta.
- archive, classid, codebase, codetype, declare and standby attributes on object.
- valuetype and type attributes on param.
- axis and abbr attributes on td and th.
- scope attribute on td.
- align attribute on caption, iframe, img, input, object, legend, table, hr, div, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, col, colgroup, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead and tr.
- alink, link, text and vlink attributes on body.
- background attribute on body.
- bgcolor attribute on table, tr, td, th and body.
- border attribute on table and object.
- cellpadding and cellspacing attributes on table.
- char and charoff attributes on col, colgroup, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead and tr.
- clear attribute on br.
- compact attribute on dl, menu, ol and ul.
- frame attribute on table.
- frameborder attribute on iframe.
- height attribute on td and th.
- hspace and vspace attributes on img and object.
- marginheight and marginwidth attributes on iframe.
- noshade attribute on hr.
- nowrap attribute on td and th.
- rules attribute on table.
- scrolling attribute on iframe.
- size attribute on hr.
- type attribute on li, ol and ul.
- valign attribute on col, colgroup, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead and tr.
- width attribute on hr, table, td, th, col, colgroup and pre.
With all above attractions HTML5 looks very promising, it will definitely help web developers in providing rich features to their applications like Drag and Drop, Audio, Video, Document Editing, Offline Storage and History Management with the help of HTML with minimal efforts and without involving use of any scripting language. In addition to above features, HTML5 is coming up with lots of other rich form control which will reduce validation coding efforts to great extent.
Though right now it is not a W3C recommendation and browsers don’t fully support HTML5, but According to the W3C timetable, it is estimated that HTML5 will reach W3C recommendation by late 2010.
Now users of HTML have started developing web applications or websites in HTML5, and we found some of websites that list work developed in HTML5
At RWS, our team of developers has been following all updates on HTML5 release and soon we will come up with live applications developed using this platform.
I am inspired to write this article after reading various articles and blogs on internet. Please find some of the source URLs below:
Reader Note: Above information is my own interpretation of HTML5 after reading various article and blogs. The purpose is pure informational. Please refer HTML5 reference sites for further details.