Moodle is a free and open source e-learning software platform, also known as a Course Management System, Learning Management System, or Virtual Learning Environment. It has a significant user base with 49,256 registered sites with 28,177,443 users in 2,571,855 courses (as of February, 2009).
Moodle is designed to help educators create online courses with opportunities for rich interaction.
Moodle dashboard is a well organized and versatile reporting system to study statistics for Courses and Students enrolled for various courses. It is generic and can be integrated with any running Moodle project.
- Adobe Flex
- Action Script 3.0
- WebORB for PHP
- PHP libraries for generating printable PDFs
- Moodle is a very sophisticated and user friendly open source course management system. But it lacks equally sophisticated reporting interface.
- There was requirement for a reporting system where one can get full statistics on the courses available as well as various statistics of students enrolled in various courses.
- Also ability to generate required reports in PDF and MS Excel format was burgeoning requirement.
Considering rich user interface capabilities of Adobe Flex, we decided to develop the Moodle Dashboard in Flex.
We developed following reports for the system:
- List of all courses available
- List of all students enrolled for selected course
- List of all assignments for selected course and student
- List of all student enrolled in the system
- List of all courses undertaken by selected student
- Search courses as per course name
- Search users as per surname, Id no., institution,department
Dashboard also allows generating reports in PDF format and MS Excel Format. The application has secure access requiring login-id and password to enter the dashboard.
The dashboard is generic and can be integrated easily with any Moodle installation.