Common issues in software development outsourcing and how to overcome them
Outsourcing software development work has become the most viable options for getting your needs fulfilled at reasonable cost & within defined time limit. But outsourcing comes with its own baggage and problems that most of the firms face.
Although, these are minor problems but they can affect your business in a critical manner if not handled properly. So, one needs to take care that entire process from choosing the right outsourcing company to getting the post production support in place right in time.
Here is the list of few of the key areas one should focus on while selecting the outsourcing partner for software development:
- Gather the initial user requirements and define them clearly
- Analyze the system requirements way before you start the project
- Inspect all the finalized requirements
- Check the availability of a QA/testing team in the outsourcing company
- Carefully evaluate the vendor’s QA processes, including tracking and documentation
- Check the quality compatibility standards
- Carefully cross examine prior to the release of the application
Intellectual Property Protection
- The company should have a documented information security management policy in place
- Make sure you share only necessary information during project execution
- Finalize licensing and source code ownership beforehand
- Finalize a standard industry procedure which remains consistent throughout the project
- Keep an authority that monitors the compliance with the agreed-upon standards
- Make a scheduled for clarifying any incoming questions right throughout the process
- Make sure the company has resources with competent communication skills
- Hold periodic review sessions with people involved in the project
- Short list the most convenient and viable communication sources that best suits both parties
Business communications are complex processes as they involve a number of people and this is why there are greater chances of discrepancies. But if handled in a systematic manner with emphasis on minute details they can flow smoothly giving you a good return.
Follow the above mentioned rules to make your business run successfully and make the most out of the benefits of outsourcing.